Wireless touch screens recalled due to fire hazard

A maker of wireless touch screens has voluntarily recalled some of its products due to a potential burn hazard from an overheated battery, the U.S. CPSC reports today.

AMX, of Richardson, Texas, is recalling about 8,600 of the AMX 5000 series controllers made between May 2008 and October 2009, according to the notice from the Consumer Product Safety Commission. The agency says a defect may cause the battery pack that powers the device to overheat and possibly rupture, cause a risk of fire or burns to consumers, although no such injuries have been reported.

The specific models subject to recall are the MVP-5100, MVP-5150, MVP-5200i panels, which sell for between $2,400 and $4,200. The devices are used as remote controls for residential or commercial audio/visual systems, the CPSC notice states.

AMX advises consumers to immediately stop using the touch panels and contact AMX for instructions on how to receive a new battery pack. AMX can be reached by phone at (800) 222-0193 or by e-mail at service@amx.com; customers should reference “XPX5000B” in the e-mail.

 

X