Get our free email newsletter

The iNARTE Informer – October 2010

Last month we began a series of articles to provide readers with more information about iNARTE Certification. Over the course of the next three months we will continue the series with more details about the criteria for certification and the specific requirements we look for in order to satisfy each of them.

Of the six current disciplines in which iNARTE offers certification, there are three that will be of greatest interest to readers of IN Compliance:

All three of these disciplines have identical elements to certification, the four “E’s”:

- Partner Content -

VSWR and its Effects on Power Amplifiers

Voltage Standing Wave Ratio results from an impedance mismatch between a source (an amplifier) and a load (test application). This mismatch can influence the performance of the source.
  • Education
  • Experience
  • Examination
  • Endorsement

Once an application for certification has been received, a file is opened to collect appropriate documentation supporting each candidate’s certification credentials. Candidate’s files can remain open for up to five years, during which time documentation can be provided to us in any order. The only time limitation within that five year period is that a candidate must achieve satisfactory examination results during any consecutive three year period (more on that requirement in ELEMENT 3).

In the September issue we discussed education and the experience credit that can be allowed for years of post secondary education consisting of coursework related to the certification discipline. Typical education backgrounds that iNARTE would accept as meeting the education requirements are as follows:

For an Engineer:

  1. A Bachelors Degree in an approved engineering college curriculum of four years.
  2. A Bachelors Degree in an approved engineering college curriculum of three years.
  3. A Masters Degree or Doctorate in an approved engineering discipline
  4. Certificates of Higher Learning or Diplomas of Technology in an approved engineering curriculum that can be equated to Bachelors or Masters Degrees.

For a Technician:

  1. An Associate Degree in an approved technician curriculum of two years or more.
  2. Certificates of Higher Learning or Diplomas of Technology in an approved engineering curriculum.

Alternative educational backgrounds or graduation in other disciplines will be evaluated by the iNARTE Certification Review Committee, (CRC). All candidates should submit full transcripts of their post secondary education. If years of education are needed as credit to meet minimum experience requirements, then original or certified copies of transcripts will be required. Candidates are also encouraged to send us all certificates of completion, attendance and proof of passing certificates for workshops, tutorials and training classes pertinent to their selected discipline.

- From Our Sponsors -

FAQ: I cannot get any or all of my original transcripts, what can I do?

ANS: This is often the situation when education has been gained overseas. In any case, send us what you have; copies of your certificates and statements as to when and where you were educated. Our CRC will ask for anything else they need and we do have contacts in most countries that can make formal requests for confirmation to your college or university.

FAQ: I did post graduate work to get my Masters and Doctorate, what credit do I get?

ANS: You may have stayed in full time education for several years after obtaining your Bachelors Degree, but we will only allow one extra year of experience credit for that time.

FAQ: What about the time I spent teaching before going into industry?

ANS: Send us all your teaching experience information, we may allow up to two years experience credit, but the CRC decision on this will be final.

FAQ: I completed my education and graduated from a “Sandwich” course/a part time program/an on line program. Is this acceptable?

ANS: Send us your transcripts, course description, number of study hours and all other course information. The CRC will ask for any other information they need and can usually get an equivalency statement from your education provider.

FAQ: I don’t have a Degree, but I have taken training courses and am working as an Engineer. Can I get an Engineer Certification?

ANS: Possibly, but we will need to see what your education and training consisted of. You will also need to be very careful and detailed in your work experience report and your references will need to support your Engineering credentials.

iNARTE Certification as an Engineer requires that applicants demonstrate a minimum of nine years related experience. Certification as a Technician requires six years of experience. Some of that experience can be credited to you from your years of post secondary education in an applicable engineering or physical science curriculum. As a general rule, we will award one year of experience credit for each full time year of undergraduate studies and one year for post graduate studies, regardless of the time invested.

Whatever additional experience that is required following your education years will need to be supported by a detailed resume. The level of detail in that resume, or work history report, will need to show that a candidate was performing the duties of an Engineer or a Technician. This work history report will probably not be the same resume that is used to solicit employment. Instead it should be directed to show the specific work that was performed in the specific discipline for which certification is sought.

Remember that we do not consider the work of a Technician to be subordinated to that of an Engineer; they are different and equally essential functions. Engineers need to know the mathematics and the physics of their subject. Technicians need to know the instruments and test setups. Engineers need good written and verbal skills. Technicians need to know the pitfalls of real measurements and the applicable standards against which measurements may be compared.

FAQ: I only have six years of experience, so I will apply for certification as a Technician. Will I automatically get upgraded to an Engineer when I have completed my nine years?

ANS: No. Engineers and Technicians are different. If you are doing Engineering work, then you should apply as an Engineer. You will be taking a different examination and, if successful, we will be able to issue you an Associate Engineer Certification that will automatically be upgraded when your experience years are reached. This is a new certificate that we introduced in 2009 for just this eventuality.

FAQ: I work in a small organization where I do both Engineering and Technician functions. What certificate should I apply for?

ANS: This is a personal decision, depending upon which way you wish to develop your career. Consider the industry demographics in your area and try to determine which career path might be more beneficial. Alternatively, you can hold both certifications, which is the best of both worlds. We have many in our registry that have both certifications. However, please make sure that your work history report can substantiate the required years of experience in both disciplines. To hold both Certifications, you will need to make separate applications.

FAQ: I have too many years of experience to remember. I am a senior/life member of various engineering societies and a PE in several states. Surely I do not need to take the iNARTE exam to get my certification?

ANS: Sorry, but yes you do. However, for every year of experience that you can demonstrate over and above the minimum requirement of six or nine years, you will be awarded a 0.5% credit added to your exam results, up to a maximum of 10%.

ELEMENTS 3 AND 4 (Examination and Endorsement) will be featured in the November issue.

The answer to last month’s question is: C). 60.5 dBμV

This month’s question is:

Given the EMI power line filter as shown below for a 115 V AC, 400 Hz power line. Determine the approximate value of the power factor correction coil required to just cancel the filter’s capacitive reactance current.


A) 1.0 mH
B) 2.6 H
C) 0.38 H
D) 1.05 nH
E) 1.0 μH

The answer will appear in the next issue of IN Compliance!

Below is a table of upcoming iNARTE events.

Several other workshops are in the pipeline, so be sure to visit the iNARTE web site regularly to be sure not to miss those in your region or field of interest.

Oct. 3rd-8th ESD Association Symposium
John Ascuaga’s Nugget Resort
Sparks (Reno), NV
iNARTE exhibition and Certification Examination sessions
Oct. 18th-21st IEEE PSES Symposium
Boston Marriott
Burlington Mall Road
Burlington, MA
iNARTE exhibition and Certification Examination sessions
Nov. 17th-18th Workshop on High Power Electromagnetic (HPEM) Threats
NASA, Johnson Space Center
Clear Lake
Houston, TX
Dr. William Radasky, IEEE Fellow, EMP Fellow, Chairman of IEC SC 77C, and President of Metatech Corporation.


Related Articles

Digital Sponsors

Become a Sponsor

Discover new products, review technical whitepapers, read the latest compliance news, trending engineering news, and weekly recall alerts.

Get our email updates

What's New

- From Our Sponsors -

Sign up for the In Compliance Email Newsletter

Discover new products, review technical whitepapers, read the latest compliance news, trending engineering news, and weekly recall alerts.