Southwire is recalling 1.2 million non-contact voltage detectors because the detectors can give a false “no voltage” reading when being used to test live wires for electric current. This defect poses shock, electrocution and burn hazards to consumers. Southwire is aware of one incident where a consumer was shocked and fell off a ladder because of a false reading by the voltage detector.
The affected devices were made in China and sold at Lowe’s and other home and hardware stores nationwide and online at lowes.com and other websites from June 2013 through February 2016 for about $15. In addition, 3,640 were sold in Canada. This recall involves Southwire non-contact voltage detectors with model numbers 40110N and 40120N. Voltage detectors alert users to the presence of electric current running through electrical wires. “Southwire,” the model number and the CE and UL listing symbols are printed on the voltage detectors. They have red LED lights to indicate the presence of live electric current.
Consumers should immediately stop using the recalled voltage detectors and contact Southwire for instructions on returning them for a free replacement voltage detector.