The International Electrotechnical Commission (IEC) has released IEC 60794-2:2017. This standard pertains to optical fibre cables – Part 2: Indoor cables – Sectional specification and is now available on the IEC webstore.
Description: “IEC 60794-2:2017 is a sectional specification. It gives the requirements that apply to optical fibre cables for indoor use in communications networks. Other types of applications requiring similar types of cables can be considered. This fourth edition cancels and replaces the third edition published in 2002. This edition constitutes a technical revision. This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
– the specification has been streamlined by cross-referencing with IEC 60794-1-1 and IEC TR 61931;
– the document structure has been aligned with IEC 60794-3, and Clause 4 on optical fibres was added;
– transmission requirements in Clause 4 were added;
– the electrical conductors and the lay-up of the cable elements were introduced into Article 5 on cable elements and construction;
– 5.13 on identification was separated in fibre, unit and sheath colour coding;
– the colour coding proposals were extended to accommodate latest fibre categories;
– Article 6 on installation and operating condition was added;
– cable element tests and cable tests have been simplified by the use of tables instead of text;
– a bibliography has been added.”
*Description from the IEC Website.
Leave a Reply