An update to IEC 61000-3-2 has been published by the International Electrotechnical Commission. IEC 61000-3-2:2014 addresses “Electromagnetic compatibility (EMC) – Part 3-2: Limits – Limits for harmonic current emissions (equipment input current ≤ 16 A per phase).” IEC 61000-3-2:2014 is available for purchase on the IEC Webstore.
“IEC 61000-3-2:2014 deals with the limitation of harmonic currents injected into the public supply system. It specifies limits of harmonic components of the input current which may be produced by equipment tested under specified conditions. It is applicable to electrical and electronic equipment having an input current up to and including 16 A per phase, and intended to be connected to public low voltage distribution systems. Arc welding equipment which is not professional equipment, with input current up to and including 16 A per phase, is included in this standard. Arc welding equipment intended for professional use, as specified in IEC 60974-1, is excluded from this standard and may be subject to installation restrictions as indicated in IEC/TR 61000-3-4 or IEC 61000-3-12. The tests according to this standard are type tests. Test conditions for particular equipment are given in Annex C. For systems with nominal voltages less than 220 V (line-to-neutral), the limits have not yet been considered.
This fourth edition cancels and replaces the third edition published in 2005, Amendment 1:2008, Amendment 2:2009 and Corrigendum of August 2009. This edition includes the following significant technical changes with respect to the previous edition:
- a clarification of the repeatability and reproducibility of measurements;
- a more accurate specification of the general test conditions for information technology equipment;
- the addition of optional test conditions for information technology equipment with external power supplies or battery chargers;
- the addition of a simplified test method for equipment that undergoes minor changes or updates;
- an update of the test conditions for washing machines;
- a clarification of the requirements for Class C equipment with active input power ≤ 25 W;
- an update of the test conditions for audio amplifiers;
- a clarification of the test conditions for lamps;
- an update of the test conditions for vacuum cleaners;
- the addition of test conditions for high pressure cleaners;
- an update of the test conditions for arc welding equipment;
- the reclassification of refrigerators and freezers with variable-speed drives into Class D;
- and the addition of test conditions for refrigerators and freezers.”
*Description from the IEC Webstore.