The Australian Competition & Consumer Commission (ACCC) is investigating potentially dangerous USB phone chargers after a women in Sydney died after being electrocuted from a defective USB phone charger.
A recent recall of over 1,000 Officeworks USB wall chargers is also bringing more attention to the safety concerns associated with these types of chargers. Consumers have been able to purchase USB chargers from international vendors that do not comply with Australian standards. Electronic products sold in Australian are required to be C-Tick certified to verify the product meets EME standards. The USB charger that resulted in the death of a Sydney woman was imported into Australia without being C-Tick certified.